Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Mounting 805B inside A5 MDF box

  1. #1
    Inactive Member mlr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 5th, 2005
    Posts
    22
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I want to try placing an 805B Horn with 288-16G driver inside an A5 (828?) box, and flipping so LF is on the bottom.

    First off, will that cause phasing problems? How does reducing the interior cabinet space, and placing foam horn liner affect the performance of the LF (I plan on using 515C's)? Any other drawbacks?

    I know I've seen a photo somewhere with a multicell mounted this way, but I can't remember where. As I recall the cell flares stuck out some, and the horn was sealed to cabinet with cushy foam, or some such stuff. Can one use the same mounting hardware that's used to mount horn on top (ie: 2 'L' brackets, and adjustable mount to the throat)?

    Does anyone know the picture I'm referring to, or a similar photo's web location?

    Thanks.
    Mike

  2. #2
    Inactive Member dgwojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 22nd, 2003
    Posts
    172
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I never saw one mounted inside, only on top, Dave.

    33

    34

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Post

    The problem i see is that 805B with throat and 288 attached is 3 feet deep, 828 box is ~2 feet deep, meaning you either have to cut a hole in the back of the 828 or have the 805 grossly protruding over a foot out of the 828 box.

    Wasn't there however a multicell horn, molded from a composite, that directly accepted a 1 inch driver(802) without the use of an additional "throat" casting?

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Mounting 805B inside A5 MDF box


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    The 808 multicell was originally aluminum cast, then foam during WW2 then back to cast. Either there was still stock of the foan, or they made both after the war.

    Hard to find and expensive though.

    The 805 with a 288 is about 28-29" deep if my gray matter isn't toast.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member dgwojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 22nd, 2003
    Posts
    172
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    The auction was a United States only auction, the high bidder was from Italy!! I bitched to ePay in the past about the new auction format where they won't reveal the bidders identity or Country, they told me to stick my opinions where the sun doesn't shine, if they wanted my input they's solicit it, A$$holes!!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.